Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Plans, Goals and Works-In-Progress

It's been awhile since I've updated this blog. As I noted when I started it, its primary purpose is to allow me to communicate with other quilter/bloggers. However, like other quilters I would like my blog to eventually serve as a record of my quilt projects as well.

I discovered blogs in late 2007 and they have served as inspiration and encouragement for me ever since. At that time, I was bothered by what I considered to be my lack of "industriousness" because I did not feel I got my projects done quickly enough, if at all. To that end, I gave myself a challenge in 2008 to try to complete one project a month (although said projects did not have to have been started in the same month as completed). Seeing so many bloggers post their Works In Progress lists and pictures of their ongoing projects and finishes, I was really inspired to "stay on task" with my own. As a result, I did get eleven projects done last year - a new record for me even if I did not ultimately meet my goal. I hope to show those projects in upcoming posts.What last year's experience proved was that it was possible for me to focus on my projects if I made it a personal priority. This year my desire is to maintain the same level of focus to successfully pursue my projects and hopefully even complete them in a "reasonable" amount of time although I don't have any specific "number to complete" goal. I am more concerned with not letting myself get bogged down when a project is a little harder than expected or put it aside indefinitely when it takes a turn I didn't expect. I can accept when a project has gone as far as inspiration will allow at the moment and needs to be set side for awhile or if it has served a purpose and need not be finished. My other goal this year is to get more comfortable with my machine quilting so that step does not indefinitely delay the finish of a quilt.

With that in mind, I've updated my blog to include my lists of Flimsies (completed tops awaiting backing, batting, layering or quilting), Works In Progress, "Hussies" (HSY-Haven't Started Yet but have all or most of the fabric and the pattern or design) and the dreaded WISPS and UFOs (Works In Slow Progress and Unfinished Objects) that currently clutter reside in my work space. Hopefully by year's end I will have crossed a few items off my lists although there are some finishes (like the Autumn Double Wedding Ring) that will be more significant to me than others.

I have learned over the years that each project, whether completed or not, is another step on what has been a glorious quilting journey and I look forward to them all!

On the design wall: WIP: Alex's Basket Quilt

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Stashbuster Finish!

On February 23 Judy Laquidara issued a challenge to her blog readers to try a project made completely from stash. She also added an incentive -- a a chance to win a pair of Gingher "Glory" scissors for all who posted a completed top.

One of my goals this year is to try to work more from stash (well, actually to work from stash and "Hussies" (HSYs: Haven't Started Yets) since I've purchased quite a bit of fabric and have compiled quite a few potential projects in the last few years. Also I want to try to make more "quick" projects to have on hand to practice machine quilting. So this challenge was right up my alley. This is Judy's design for the project: http://www.patchworktimes.com/2009/03/04/stash-project-revealed/

And here's my finish:

O.k. so I strayed a bit (?!?!) off the design course. One thing I realized early on in my quilting journey was that I like shaded (black tinged) fabrics and the fabrics used for the blocks bore that out. When I put the blocks together, I found the colors to be very rich which made it hard to choose background fabrics. I liked both the red and rust used here so decided to use both as alternating setting triangles! That meant I had to figure out how to incorporate the floating corner patches -- I chose to just make blocks that followed the alternating sequence.

Then the challenge was to find a border print to go with all of this. The print I used was in with fabrics for another project but I liked the way it looked with these blocks. I had to add the inserts in the border since I only had a yard of the fabric and it is directional so I had to make it stretch.

This was a challenge but also a lot fun to do. And it gave me the incentive to start a blog so two for one!

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Starting Out

Well, I've finally set up a blog. For the start, the purpose of this blog will be to allow me to post messages on those blogs that don't allow anonymous postings (no longer a "Lurker" LOL). Also I am currently doing Judy Laquidara's "Stashbuster" Quilt Project (http://www.patchworktimes.com/tag/stash-project/) and will need to post a picture of my finished top in order to qualify for the Gingher scissor raffle she is having for those that finish.

Eventually I hope to use this blog as other quilters have -- to post my projects and finishes and "to do" lists and to make connections with other quilters around the world. Although I consider myself tech knowledgable I have to admit I have not been as deep into computers as I once was so doing this may require a bit of a learning curve.

Time to dive into blogland!