The first of the next two quilts that I had pledged to do labels for is my (Carrie Nelson) Schnibbles quilt called "Tribal Scratch":
The back of this little quilt is the same as the "binding" -- that's because this was "bound" by turning the green and brown batik print backing to the front around the edge and mitering the corners. A pretty print but too dark to write directly onto.
The other is my "Merrimac Dresdens":
As you can see below, the backing of the Dresden quilt is light but has a dense repeat design (the flower block from Lucinda Ward Honstain's "Reconciliation Quilt") so was also not a candidate for writing directly onto the back.
Of course since both are already quilted it was also too late for inserting a label strip. I seriously thought about piecing a special label for both. Particularly for Merrimac: the first idea I thought of was to do a Fan block (a quarter of a Dresden plate) with a muslin center and sew it into one of the back corners. However, the problem with both of these quilts is that I don't have any more of the fabrics used in the tops to piece a coordinating block with. For Merrimac, I thought I had a few leftover Dresden blades but found I had cut them down to make the squares I needed for the little Tucker quilt. Even though I still have a considerable stash of other Civil War repros, I wasn't up to snipping out bits from the remaining yardage to make the block blades.
So at that point, like I did for another Quilt Alliance Pledge label, it was time to dial it back a bit. Was it possible to just simply find a square of coordinating fabric that I could write the information onto for each quilt? Fortunately for that I did have good options!
|Prepped for some Slow Sunday Stitching.|
For "Tribal", I had some of the border fabric leftover from the gift quilt I made for my neighbors awhile back which went fairly well with the backing. For "Merrimack", I decided to just snip a piece of the selvedge from what I have of the remaining backing fabric. I love that I can also use it to identify that fabric as well as document the quilt. It also blends in well with the back so is there but unobtrusive. Here are both finished up:
|Simple and now done!|
Once again, I am reminded to try to give consideration to the label issue as I'm making a quilt. This way if there is a need to save or conserve fabric (or even buy a fat eight or quarter more if need be), the time to do that is while the project is still current. From the last session I learned that it's also a good idea to sketch out a label idea if you have one. Don't only rely on remembering it in the event you don't get to the finishing until long after the top is made. This way when you're ready for this step, your original idea will already be waiting for you and you will be less likely to procrastinate executing it because you don't have to think up an idea for it.
So one last label to get done and of course it's the hardest because I have to get my quilting muscles back in shape on my old sewing machine! Hoping to put that one to bed this week so I can move on with a clear head to the other projects I have planned for this month.