Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Updating the Record....

As the year winds down, I started doing a review of the projects I have worked on and realized I was missing a few things here on the blog.  Back in this post, I had talked about preparing for our garden's (now) annual "Art Show".  We have a lot of creative garden members and for my part, I show my quilts.  I did a display of "Red and White Quilts" mostly featuring the ones I made for my holiday decorating plans last year.

Front Display: Christmas Ribbons, The Last Dash and Cherry Crunch


Click to read a little of the history I found out about Red and White quilts.

I also had my "Infinite Variety" book on display at the show in the event I could interest anyone in a discussion of how popular Red and White quilts have been among quilters throughout history. 

There are two finishes that I haven't reported on previously that were related to my participation in that show.  The first was that I finally made good on a promise to the garden's Steering Committee and provided a quilt to raffle off.  

This was the second "Nine Fat Quarter Disappearing Nine Patch" quilt I finished this year!  The fabrics I used were inspired by the lavender-themed cross stitch workshop I led for the garden in August.  I had originally planned on having two quilts to raffle but was only able to get one done in time.  So I decided to include the largest sachet I had made as a sample for the cross stitch class to give with the quilt as part of the prize.  

Ironically, the quilt was won by one of the Steering Committee members!  This helps me as I have been toying with the idea of making each of them a quilt for all the hard work they have done both in the founding of our garden nine years ago and continue to do to keep it a going concern.  Now that one of them already has a quilt, I'd only need to make three more, LOL!  We'll see however, if I manage to get that done.  

What it also confirms for me is that, as the first quilt design I've made more than once, this is going to be a "go to" design for making up quick quilts for gifting.  It was also great to be able to show both of those quilts in the show at the same time and once again demonstrate how versatile quilt designs are.

And speaking of cross stitch: since that is now another creative obsession interest of mine, I decided to make a piece to include in the "Red and White" display.  As usual the Craft Muses came through and at some point I saw this design in a Flosstube video:

Seen here with some of the floss already in my stash that I was considering using.

Perfect!  Small (so quick to stitch), Red and White and Christmas related so once made not only could be displayed in the show but can be part of future Christmas decorating.  I hung it with the smaller quilts displayed on the back of the larger R&W quilts, under my "Jelly-ish Snowflake" wall hanging in the center:

FQS Stitches From the HeartFQS Jelly-ish Snowflake and TQC 12 Days of Christmas

Hmmm, it's a little hard to see in that picture so here's the close-ups:

I finished it as an ornament and will hang it up on our Christmas tree this year.  Now the record is complete!

1 comment:

Vireya said...

A lovely red and white display!
Your Snowflake quilt reminded me that I wanted to make that some time...