Wednesday, December 27, 2023

7 Days of New Years - Day 2

Continuing with my personal Quilt-A-Thon from the day after Christmas leading up to New Years, I am working on projects that I want to "clean up" before the New Year starts.  Yesterday I finished the first of the Quiltville mystery quilts I have been working on since Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt season began on Black Friday.  Today, I finished basting "Tobacco Road", the second of the two quilts I'd like to complete this year.  

As I had with the previous quilt, I needed to preview potential stitch patterns.  All during the time I pieced this quilt, I really thought what I was going to do is highlight the vertical columns of pieced blocks and solid bars with some sort of leafy print.  The idea was to try channel tobacco leaves. I would also just stitch simple continuous curves in the Flying Geese border blocks but I wasn't sure what to do in those backgrounds.

I did try sketching out the motifs and I did like them.  However, then I debated if I really wanted to do that much detail stitching again as well as all the stabilizing stitching that would need to precede it.  Since I still really want to try to wrap this one up sooner rather than later,  I'm thinking of just going simple with stippling in the center and slightly fancier continuous curves in the Flying Geese blocks with more stippling in their backgrounds.  Quicker because it is all a lot more continuous stitching than I did for the last quilt.  

However, I can also think more about it as I continue to work on my cross stitch tonight.

And the "stitch space" chair is now dressed for the holiday season

I will adding in some different stuff in Day 3!

1 comment:

Vireya said...

Good to see so much progress on Tobacco Road! You are doing great on your Quilt-a-thon.