Saturday, December 30, 2023

7 Days of New Years - Day 5

Okay a quick post:  It's the weekend and DH and I have errands to run today so I had expected not to get much done today.  However, since he needed a nap after coming in from work this morning, I took that time to work on what I could.  Having finished the full columns yesterday, this morning I got the half columns of bars on the sides of the "Old Tobacco Road" quilt also done.

I did the same thing I did last night: marked them and used a walking foot to outline stitch them.  Before doing the columns I had wondered if I should try to just eyeball the lines, use the edge of the walking foot as a guide (the one for my Juki doesn't have the hole in the casing for a spacing bar) or if I needed to mark them and how?  

Well, another "not designed for quilt marking" tool is doing double duty to mark stitch paths this round.  Much like I had used my Hera marker with one of the "Leaves Galore" templates to mark continuous curves on "Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll":

This time around I used the Hera and my "Add A Quarter Ruler" -- normally a paper piecing tool -- to mark the outline stitch paths on the bar blocks!

It was the perfect width so it was simple to just lay it down the center of each bar and mark with the Hera on both sides.  Easy peasy!

I also got the first column of leaf motifs stitched over the pieced blocks:

Not bad, good for texture.  Maybe one of these days I'll get confident enough to stitch with really contrasting thread -- but not today!

 Oh, and the cross stitch has also been moving right along over the last few days.  Since I probably won't get any more quilting in today, I might be able to sit and cross stitch when we come back from running errands.  I should be able to stitch while we catch up on shows.

Last progress was seen here.

I'd love it if this could be a finish (even if not "fully finished") by the time the ball drops tomorrow!  

1 comment:

Vireya said...

Tobacco Road is looking good!