I'm back to join everyone at Quilty Girl Alycia's for "Finished Or Not Friday" with a quick follow-up to last week's post.
![]() |
| If you want to know how the whole "Frivols" thing started, check out this MODA Schoolhouse video from 2015 here. |
| Front |
| Back with label area |
The fabrics in the tin were enough to make the whole top for this small wallhanging the designers named "Faithful". I lucked up on someone selling just the fabric set from this same tin so used some of those to make the backing and the binding. The label square came with the full kit. To help bring the backing to size, I added a Paisley and a Polka Dot print from a more recent M&S line called "Union Square". It is quilted with a simple all-over meander pattern.
This little quilt is just the right size to swap out with the "Americana Lone Star" I have hanging up now and I can enjoy this one from now through Labor Day.
I eventually hope to follow in the footsteps of the bloggers at "Occasional Piece & Quilt" and "One Stitch at a Time" and continue the process of making up the other Frivols tins I have. I also remember seeing a post somewhere on the MODA blog showing how to make a padded lining for the empty tin to turn it into a decorative storage box.
In Other Red, White & Blue News....
I had plans to work on two cross stitch projects as part of celebrating the country's 250th birthday. I had finished stitching one and posted it for July 4th and now it's "fully finished"!
This is the "Peace" design from Susan Ache's "Summer Memories" book that features quilt and cross stitch projects. I love that I was able to use some scraps leftover from making a QOV top a few months back to finish up this little pillow.
However, the second project is still very much a "WISP": a Work In Slow Progress:
![]() |
| Digital pattern purchased on Etsy. |
I was surprised to find this one a bit of a struggle for me as I had thought I've done enough projects on Evenweave to be more comfortable working with it. Well, I'll keep plugging away and eventually it'll get done!
As always I look forward to seeing what others have in progress or completed this week for "Finished Or Not Friday" at Quilty Girl Alycia's!




10 comments:
Your RWB quilt is delightful. Great finish!
Thank you! Fun to finally get one of these made up!
Your frivols quilt is cute as can be. Keep on stitching:)
Thank you! Definitely no rest for the weary when it comes to the WIPs in the woodpile of projects!
Ohh - your patriotic finish is amazing - those borders!! I love them - it just extends the goodness of the quilt
Thanks Alycia! Have always loved alot of Minick & Simpson's quilt designs as well as their fabrics so this one was a "must get and make" for me!
What cute patriotic projects, Vivian!!! Love your Frivols kit quilt!!! And the tin! Great job getting the first of your cross stitch projects done! The star on the second cross stitch is just too cute!!!
Thanks Nancy! Making the Frivols was more fun than expected so I now I look forward to making up some of hte other I have. Cross stitch has taken a real back seat lately but we have Fall trips coming up so I'm sure they'll get a big push as "driving projects"!
I love your little wall hanging. Can't wait to see the quilted tin lining. Wisp is such a perfect word!!!
Thank you! Hmmm, the way MODA lined it with fabric it was just padded but I like the way you are thinking about *quilting* the fabric -- I might just try that! Yeah, WISP was one of the "quilters acronyms" that I always loved from Nancy Goldsworthy's 2006 "Quilters Guide to UFO's" booklet. She had some really good ones in there!
Post a Comment