Tuesday, April 6, 2021

A to Z Quilt Challenge: E = Edges on Quilts

For the month of April, I have taken up Frédérique's Quilting Patchwork and Applique challenge to blog daily (except Sundays) on a quilt topic related to a letter of the alphabet.  

* * * * * * * * * * 

I always say that there are so many ways to have fun and be creative when making our quilts and the fun is not limited to the front of it!  In addition to how you create the top, you can also creatively piece your backings and make specialty quilt labels.  You can also make interesting choices in the color and pattern of the fabric you use for the binding to go around the Edge of your quilt.  

However, there is also an opportunity to play around with the actual edges of your quilts to add another unique spin to a finished project.  

How about adding clamshells to the edge of your quilt instead of binding?

Vintage Treasures Clamshells

I saw this edge done on an antique quilt and unfortunately did not write down the name and source of the quilt when I discovered it.  At the time, I was working on this quilt which had a "vintage vibe" to it so saw the clamshell edge as a way to make this big box BOM project my own.

How about a Scalloped edge?

Charming Log Cabin Scallops


This very easy quilt was patterned with this edge design.  I was going to use the Quilt In A Day ruler to make the edge but found that by marking this household "quilt tool", it gave me the spacing I needed better, Lol!  

Fun with Prairie Points

Feathered Star Wall hanging with Prairie Points

Star Table Topper with Prairie Points

In instances like this, I use the technique where you make the points from one strip of fabric that is folded wrong sides together to create the points.  You can see how I did it for the topper in this post.

Flange Bindings

Alex's Baskets Quilt


Valentines Day Pillows


Two great things about this binding technique: both the binding and the flange are created in one strip piece set and it is completely applied by machine!  For an easy how to, check out Jenny Doan's video here.

I was recently looking through some of my Quilter's Newsletter back issues and came across this tutorial (March 2004 issue):

Hmmm, I think I might try that in the future! 

Have you tried adding any special edges to your quilts?   What other interesting edge techniques have you come across?  

4 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love these special treatments for edges! One day I will try piping inside binding. I love prairie points all around, but I'm too lazy to make them ;))

Jane said...

How did you make the clamshell edging? I like it but can't find a tutorial. Thanks!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Vivian, like interesting backing, borders and edges, by the time I get to that point in my quilt, I'm more than ready to get it done and over with! However, some of these edges ideas could be adapted to small wall or art quilts. Thanks. I'm going to keep that in mind :-)

Vireya said...

What a great collection of interesting edges! I haven't tried anything so adventurous yet. I've done a flange binding on one quilt, and included ric-rac as a flange on another. Plus I've done one faced finish instead of binding. I am very impressed with your prairie points, scallops and clamshells.