Monday, April 12, 2021

A to Z Quilt Challenge: J = Journals

 For the month of April, I have taken up Frédérique's Quilting Patchwork and Applique challenge to blog daily (except Sundays) on a quilt topic related to a letter of the alphabet.  

* * * * * * * * * *

When I started quilting, I learned about documenting my quilts in the very first quilt magazine I read.  There was an article in it that talked about labelling quilts and about maintaining a separate written record of them.  

After reading that first article, I created a blank word processing "Quilt Documentation" template.  For each project started, I record information about the quilt.  This includes:  when I start and finish it, the quilt name, the inspiration for the quilt or the pattern used (and if from a book or magazine, the name, issue and publication year), details about the fabrics and batting used and where they were purchased and, what or who the quilt was made for.   

During the making of the quilt, I will record what efforts went into making it or what was going on in my life or in the world at the time.  I will finish the record with pictures of the quilt and fabric swatches if I have them.  When I am stuck on or discouraged with a current project, it can be encouraging to read back about other projects I have completed.  It usually is a reminder that with a little more time and determination, I can get to the finish!

Once I started creating the documentation files, I pulled out an empty three ring binder to house the finished journal entries.  That was when my Quilt Journal accumulation began!  Later I vowed to make annual scrap quilts and realized that covers for the binders would make interesting scrap quilt projects to help fulfill that vow.  

See the three uncovered binders in the background of the picture?

Well, here they are all covered up!

This year, I need to make covers for two more binders.  I decided yesterday to see if I could get at least one of them made up.  I had to come up with a design that I could make up fairly quickly.  I decided to do a "Jelly Roll Race" style cover which allowed me to dig into my bin of 2-1/2" scrap strips.  


This also gave me an opportunity for some more free motion quilting  practice.  It just so happens that right now, Angela Walters is holding another of her "Free Motion Challenge Quilting Alongs", this time focusing on "Flora and Foliage" motifs.  She demoed the first motif on Wednesday which is the "Woodgrain" filler.  This is a design I've tried in the past but wasn't sure I was getting it right.  Angela's instruction on how to start it off clarified for me perfectly how to do it!


Then with some leftover strip sets for the flaps to hold the binder in the cover, some leftover binding strips to go around the edges and a few hexagons to create a label for the spine, the latest journal cover is done!

One down, one to go!

Do you keep a journal?  Is it for your quilt or craft projects or is it for recording your daily life or thoughts?  Have you ever made a cover for it? 

Linking up with:  

Frédérique and the other Challengers at Quilting Patchwork and Applique.  Bonne journée!


Cynthia for Oh! Scrap at Quilting is More Fun than Housework


Andree and Muv and the Free-Motion Mavericks at Lizzie Lenard Vintage Sewing

3 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your journals are beautiful, I love the covers! Yes I do keep a journal, it's mostly a tab with all the information you list, and I keep the pattern, templates and so on in a plastic pocket.

Vireya said...

I am impressed that you have already used the woodgrain pattern and turned it into a finished item! I only watched that video yesterday afternoon.

I like your quilt journal ideas, although I haven't done one myself. I do have a document on my computer that I update with each completed step of a quilt, which I've been keeping since 2009. Nowhere near as pretty as your journals!

Muv said...

Hello Vivian,
Absolutely love your journal covers, so appropriate for quilt journals. The woodgrain quilting looks perfect with the strippy pattern.
No, never kept a journal of any sort. Far too forgetful and disorganised. If I write a pattern down it's on a scrap of paper and I lose it.
Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks. Your journal covers are this week's featured project!
Love, Muv