Saturday, April 3, 2021

A to Z Quilt Challenge: C = Civil War Reproduction Quilts

For the month of April, I have taken up Frédérique's Quilting Patchwork and Applique challenge to blog daily (except Sundays) on a quilt topic related to a letter of the alphabet.  

* * * * * * * * * * 

Ooh, one of my favorite topics!  In 2010, I started on a journey to make a series of quilts using Civil War Reproduction fabrics.  During the time I started making these, the 150th Anniversary of the war was being commemorated.   I got to see a lot of documentaries and read a lot of books and articles about the battles and generals. So while making up the projects, it could be said that I enrolled in an unofficial seminar on Civil War history and politics!   Here's where I am today:

Finished quilts:

The ones that started it all:  the Quilt In A Day Pioneer and Underground Railroad Samplers



They are reversible!

...with an accompanying wall hanging.


Because I couldn't resist a fabric line:  Merrimac Dresdens

Fabric Line:  Merrimac by Marcus Brothers circa 2008 

How do you use up scraps (Part 1)?  Make mini quilts!

Civil War Twister

Pink Ginger Lemonade


The CW Mini Trio

Tucker -- Hand Pieced!

Technically a mini:  a journal cover

How do you use up scraps (Part 2)?  Make even more sampler quilts!:  The Kaye England Samplers

Re-piecing the Past

Civil War Legacy

...and an accessory pillow:


Still to be Quilted:

Because I couldn't resist a BOM:  Civil War Chronicles

Still waiting to be quilted, unfortunately.

And while not strictly made with all Civil War fabrics, this Bonnie Hunter Quiltville project got its start primarily from that stash:  Double Delight

Love those CW Double Pinks, Indigos and Shirting Prints!

Believe it or not, this  journey has not ended yet as I still have a few more projects stashed to make:



Project plans as of today:  a (scrappy) Soldier's Cot Quilt, a whole quilt using just one of the blocks from the Chronicles BOM and a quilt using the "Union Generals" pattern but using a "Reconciliation Quilt" panel for the center medallion.  But who knows, the future could entice me with more!  

Do you like working with reproduction fabrics from this era?  Do you incorporate them into "period style" quilts or use them as part of your general stash?

4 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, your quilts are beautiful! Love the Tumbling Blocks one, and the Dresden too! Very pretty!

Vireya said...

What an amazing collection!

When I first came across civil war reproduction fabrics I didn't understand the attraction. But I've seen them used for so many beautiful quilts that now I do get it. I've even bought a few bits of fabric that fit into that category, although for me they are just part of general stash.

verveine et lin said...

j'aime vos courtepointes miniatures!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Vivian, you really got into Civil war quilts and fabrics. About 6 or 7 years ago I decided that I wanted to have a nice stash of civil war reproduction fabrics....I can't really remember why??? The idea I think would be to make a modern quilt using those fabrics. I do love putting two different styles together. I'm not sure when this will happen, but it could :-)
Your quilts are really lovely! Take care.