Saturday, July 2, 2016

Get It Done! June Recap, July Goals

Once again, I'm a day late getting this done!  It was also another busy month so not as much accomplished on my part as hoped.  My MIL returned to NC on Monday after staying with us for a week to attend my youngest son's high school graduation.  We did get some quilting done --- but all of it was on her projects!  With my help, we worked on the designs for two lap quilt tops which she completed and we started work on a third.  I also invited one of her friends to come stitch with us last Saturday.  I had taught both of them to quilt and we used to sew together at my MIL's house when she still lived here in New York.  Their friendship started when they were co-workers, then they scrapbooked together and now both are obsessed fully committed to quilting!  We helped her friend design a pieced back for a baby quilt and she brought her new sewing machine and we helped her learn about some of its features.  Between coaching and hosting, I forgot to take pictures!

I truly appreciate the value of a quilt retreat now --- had I not been preparing for guests and hosting, I might have gotten more done myself.  Note to self:  in the future, I have to set up some "mindless sewing" tasks if I'm hosting --- something that only needs to just be run through the machine.  I need a "no thinking involved" project if I want to be able to be productive while hosting and teaching.

With regards to the June list, here's what happened:

1. Quilt CW Chronicles:  NOT DONE
 
 
The plan was to quilt this project from the March GID list to use on our new high riser beds.  I had planned to set them up pushed together to offer the equivalent of a King size bed.  However, the guest plans changed from my MIL coming with her husband to my MIL coming with her sister.  That meant needing the two twin beds to stay separate and since I already had quilts for them and with so much else to do in preparation, I decided to put this one on the back burner again

2. The T-shirt Quilt :  STARTED


I did get this one from April's GID list at least started.  The above picture was of the shirts I had picked out for this project back in April.   Using a pack of t-shirt quilt interfacing I had bought sometime last year, I only managed to get it attached to the shirts, cut out the elements I wanted to use and start working on the layout. 


I've decided I want to add sashing also cut from the shirt backs so have more fusing and cutting to do and found that hard to focus on with company around.  So this one, which is the first time I've attempted to make this type of quilt, will also be an ongoing project.     

3. Pastel baby quilt: NOT DONE
  
 
This is a commission project that I still need to work out the color placement for.  Again not something I could do while paying attention to company so it too moves forward. 

4. Graduation quilt:  NOT DONE

 
This is a gift project for a family friend who is finishing up a degree.  It also needs some thought given to fabric placement as well as some more stash enhancement!  Like the previous project, that was not something I could do with company around so work on it will have to move forward too. 

5. Quilts Of Valor:   NOT DONE
 
A shot of the stash storage!
The plan to start on these had already made an appearance on the May list and I had really expected to get a chance to pick a project and start work on these with my guests.  But again, I should have done all that before they got here so I was ready to just sew.  I'm hoping to use the July 4 holiday weekend to finally get started on this. 

6.  (Not a quilt but quilt related)  Terrace Barn Sign  Quilt:  DONE!



Well at least I did get something done even if it wasn't with fabric!  I think it looks pretty good and two of my neighbors complemented it as well.  Last month I called it a "barn sign" but after doing some research on the topic, I stand corrected:  it is actually a "barn quilt".  I will do a separate post on the details soon.

Oh, and not "officially" on the list but mentioned:   I also did get to augment, with batting, the pillow form for the CW repro pillow I had made.  My not-so-filled pillow went from this:


...to this....


....so now resides on the chair with the Kaye England "CW Legacy" quilt.

 
This was made from my repro leftovers using the "Fussy-Cut Flowers" Pillow  pattern on the American Patchwork & Quilting website.  It also gave me a chance to use my Accuquilt Go! cutter to cut out the applique circles with fusible attached.

For July, the list consists of all the carryovers:

1. Quilts Of Valor.  Moving this to the top of the list since I hope to work on it some this weekend.
2. The T-shirt Quilt.  Next priority since I need it for the house.
3. Pastel baby quilt. Like to get this commission job done.
4. Graduation quilt:  Much like the QOVs, if not done, at least started.
5. Quilt CW Chronicles:  This one is long overdue and I'm actually looking forward to doing some custom quilting on it so fingers crossed I finally get to it.

With all the major family commitments now done, I'm looking forward to being able to actually focus on all the things I personally want to do for the rest of the summer.  Let's see if I can make that dream happen!

2 comments:

Julierose said...

Quite a list you have there--all lovely projects--I am still wrestling Cassidy's quilt--now pin basting onto batting strips so that I can machine quilt...and it goes very slowly..hugs, Julierose

Elaine Adair said...

Goodness, don't fret about what is NOT done!!! I am looking at the big quilt, first photo and marveling at how beautiful it is, what gentle blending of colors etc. If you want to talk about what is NOT done, we can all discuss NOT losing 20 lbs, .... now that is pretty boring!

Happy summer quilting!