Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Two more finishes....

I realize I haven't posted in a while so I want to post a couple of updates.  I finally got Gift #2 for my friend finished (Gift #1 was finished at the end of last year and can be seen in this post).  This was a panel she purchased when we attended last year's Mancuso New Jersey Quilt Fest.  I should have quilted it much sooner but I'll settle for getting it finished. I finished the quilting at the end of February and attached the label (by hand) earlier this month.

This panel was special because at the time we attended the show, my friend's black and white cat was ill and then died a few months later.  So I call this quilt "Remembering Pepe" and hope it serves as a commorative gift for her.

Another (relatively) quickie project but one that has been on my idea list for a long time is this reproduction wallhanging I'm calling "Honoring the Journeys:
 
   
I made it to help fill the wall adjacent to where my Underground Railroad and Pioneer Samplers hang.

This shows the Pioneer Sampler side of the wall hanging.

I found poems and images on the web about both historical movements and combined them in Microsoft Word so I could print them out on muslin I tea dyed.  I surrounded them with a Judy Rothermel/Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum "Tumbling Blocks" cheater print I had purchased in the early days of gathering my CWR stash.  Originally I had planned to use the fabric as a backing and fortunately I still have enough of it that it might still be used to back a CWR cot quilt I plan to make.  The pictures below it are ones I took of the Frederick Douglass traffic circle here in New York.  There are "quilt code" blocks set into the pavement and the fencing around the circle, most of which are also in the UGRR side of my wall hanging (which can be seen here).

Now back to Gift #3 (the first started and last one to be finished!) for my friend so I can clear my table and finally move on to a big project I've been putting off for way too long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your Civil War projects!