Friday, September 27, 2024

Quilt Stitching Inspiration Finally Leads To A Finished Quilt

Whew, it been a while since I've checked in!  It's been a busy summer and I will be posting recaps of all that has been going on quilt-wise.  However in recent weeks I have also been trying to focus on getting some finishes done.  So for starers, I'll debut the first one this week over at Alycia's Finished Or Not Friday !

In July a lot of my piecing focus went towards "Christmas in July" projects.  However, my original plan for that month was to do a lot of quilt stitching!  The impetus for that was the latest Free Motion Quilt Challenge announced by Angela Walters at the end of May and scheduled to run in July.  Titled "How Do I Quilt It",  she planned to discuss stitching patterns that could be used to fill Chevron, Snowball, Log Cabin and Curved blocks and Applique borders.  

That was just the push I needed to start a project I had long wanted to do:  "Apple Crisp" is a design I thought I first saw in an American Patchwork and Quilting "Fall Quilts" compilation (scroll down to #20 for the link to the free pattern).  Later I discovered I had the October 2012 back issue it was originally published in. 

The magazine version and my finished top!

After learning about the challenge, I spent the latter half of June working on the blocks.  I changed the size of all the blocks so I could use my Accuquilt Snowball block die to cut those particular blocks.  In order to get all the blocks done by the time of the challenge,  I even pieced some while we were away camping in Shenandoah National Park in June!

I finished the top in early July just in time for the part of the Challenge for the Snowball blocks.  However, for the first time watching one of Angela's challenges, I did not immediately get ideas for stitching my own project!  The issue for me was that most of  the stitch designs she showed called for detail stitching in the centers of the blocks.  I was stopped in my tracks by one of the fabric choices I had made during the piecing:

Also didn't realize until this point that I should have pieced those chain blocks differently to line up with the Snowball corners!

I didn't really want to stitch over this guy.  The designs she demo'd were great but wouldn't work for this one block and I wanted to stitch all the blocks the same.  So this time it took looking beyond what she was stitching in the blocks to find inspiration from what she used to fill other spaces around them.  It took me most of August to figure that out as I continued to work on other projects.  Eventually I combined that inspiration with some of my own ideas which led to what I used to finish this one up.

At this point, I'll also join in over at Denise's  "Put Your Foot Down" to share the stitching part of this finish!

The stitch plan started with deciding to just straight stitch through the chain blocks which would also help stabilize the center of the top.  At some point in Angela's demo I saw her do stitch patterns in the Snowball corners -- okay, I can do that.  However, I was still stumped for what to stitch in the block centers.  

I often go very literal when I work on quilt projects.  Since the name of this quilt is "Apple Crisp" why not do an "Apple Core" stitch motif?  But will I need to mark it?  Well, it just so happens that I had this in my template stash:  

This is actually a piecing template that I've had for years.  I've always wanted to make an Apple Core quilt but never got around to it.  I even considered getting the Accuquilt die for making one.  I held off on that because I felt I should at least try using this template before I spend money on another one.  I also don't really know if I'd ever make more than one of these types of quilts anyway.  

Now that I had my stitch plan, I finally layered the quilt sandwich earlier this month.  Luckily for me, it turns out that using the piecing template worked just as well as a quilting ruler since I have a non-hopping ruler foot!  I even used the template in the borders and tessellated the motif like it would be when pieced.  

It's not as even in the borders as it would be pieced since I just used the edge of the template to stitch along instead of lining it up along the seam allowance slots.   

After employing those two stitching motifs,  I felt that I needed to also stitch something in the sides of the Triple Four Patch blocks.  For that I had another ruler -- this time one that is actually for free-motion quilting and that I hadn't used up until now:

I had purchased this Handi Quilter ruler a few years after quilting "Flying For Cover" with free hand clamshells.  For that quilt, I had marked the spacing of the clamshells using Inchie Tape.   However, after quilting it, I realized that while I liked the stitch design, I wanted a way to insure that I could quilt various size arcs as evenly as possible.  This ruler is 1/4" high so is actually for use on a longarm but I had no problems using it from all sides on my high shank Juki machine.  

Doing this many different stitch patterns -- even simple ones --  is essentially considered custom quilting.  So needless to say, it all took far longer than I had expected to spend quilting this project.  

Photographed under the Crabapple tree in our community garden!

Now that it's done, I am happy to say that this is a pretty addition to my Fall decorating.

Linking up with:

1 comment:

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Congratulations on tackling your quilting your way. The apple core design does a great job of allowing your precious fussy cut fabric to continue to shine.