For my wool ornaments project: the next stocking (#2) is now done:
The stitched details on these are supposed to be done by hand but I've been trying to see just how much I can get done by machine since I already had one hand work embroidery project going (well, finished now). For this stocking, I was able to get everything stitched by machine (using Perle cotton) except the little leaves and berries detail under the cuff which was done by hand. My Janome can do a makeshift French Knot which allowed me to do the snowflake motif in the center of the mittens. It doesn't have the raised texture of a hand done knot but in a pinch (or a hurry) it can certainly be an acceptable substitute.
For my Heart & Home project: block #9 was mostly finished:
Unfortunately, what was supposed to happen was those log cabin blocks were to have one more round added to them and then be split in half along the diagonal and added as corners to the on-point applique center unit. Based on a picture that came with the block kit, the dark strip on the lower right looks like what was supposed to go in that round. Problem is, there is not enough of that fabric to add rounds to both blocks. In the picture of the designer's original quilt, the log cabin blocks are not bordered with dark strips (and I do have enough extra fabric to do it that way), but I admit I kind of like the dark border finish.
I've got to make a trip into Manhattan next week which gives me an opportunity to go to the City Quilter store. They carry some Daiwabo fabrics there so I'm hoping to find something I can use to finish the blocks. If not, I will finish the blocks with lighter fabrics and either way, the block will be completed along with next month's BOM work.
Looking back through my posts on this project, I realize I never posted about the second row (blocks 4 - 6) and block 7 when they were made back in July and August of 2012.
For the second row, the three blocks were made separately, then when the majority of the center and left blocks were finished, they were seamed together and the overlapping tree branches and leaves were appliqued across both bocks.
For block 7 I also used the French knot function on the machine to stitch the detail in the center of the flower buds. It's a little hard to see but I liked the fact that since I've been stitching these all by machine (using Aurifil Lana wool thread), I was able to do that detail by machine as well. The plan as of right now is to finish the last three blocks of this BOM and the quilt in March. Stay tuned to see if that happens!
Continuing on the topic of wool, I also finished the "Warm Heart" table topper this month:
This was supposed to be the companion to my "Vintage Cherries" quilt for display for Valentine's Day. I'm still working on getting the quilting of the quilt also done before the month ends today. At least both will be ready for the holiday next year!
I had to change the design of this a little because I only had one piece of pink wool in my stash when I went to make this. Most of the wool stash I have (separate from the Heart & Home BOM) was received when I subscribed to a monthly "Wool Gatherers" stash builder program from Primitive Gatherings during 2011 -2012. When I went to cut the center heart for this one, I was a little short of length:
So I cut the tip as a separate piece and layered it onto the bottom of the heart and placed the branch and leaf details to cover the join.
Because all the details sat a little lower on the piece because of that, I added additional heart flowers at the top to balance out the original design. This was also all machine stitched using Perle cotton thread. And yes, even this little project has a place on the back to write in the label.
A labelling post is on my list of topics to cover on the blog one of these days! Well right now, I really need to get back to the quilting. I'll also be back tomorrow with posts for the "Get It Done" update and "Slow Sunday Stitching". See you then!