Friday, November 30, 2018

It's Friday so it's a Bonnie Day!

"Bonnie" meaning good and Bonnie meaning it's time for Part 2 of Bonnie Hunter's newest Quiltville mystery "Good Fortune".


The instructions for this week's units --- blue and neutral half square triangle squares --- are here.  Bonnie says the colors for this week's units were influenced by the beautiful painted ceiling beams in the courtyard of the Temple of Heaven in Bejing (be sure to check out her post for the pictures of them!).  It's interesting to note that most of Bonnie's mysteries start with simple basic units like the nine patches from last week and the HSTs today.  If you are working on the mystery, don't forget to link-up on Bonnie's blog on Monday and show everyone how far you've gotten -- no pressure!

I don't have the "Good Fortune" to be working on the mystery but rest assured I've downloaded the instructions.  However, like many of you my sentiments for today are that....

Quiltville Mystery mugs available from Zazzle.com 

For the first time in weeks, I've got a day with no errands, appointments or commitments so it'll be a Quilt-A-Thon day for sure!  My Bonnie Project for today is to continue working on "Scrappy Trips" blocks.  Last week I was here with them:


This week started with a plan to make a block a day for the next two weeks.  I got the blocks done for the first three days this week so am now here:


After adding the new blocks to the layout, I counted to see where making blocks over the weekend and next week would leave me.  While it would be enough blocks for the size quilt I want (generous lap size), I realized I'd need another week after that to complete the top and then more time beyond that if I want to get it layered and possibly quilted.  So change of  plans:  I've now decided that since I want to stay within the two week time frame to get this to a top (because I've got other things to get to as well), I'm going to bump it up to making two blocks a day from here on in.  This way I can have the blocks and the top completed within the two weeks.  As for the layering and quilting?  Well, I'll see how busy it gets as we go into the final leg of the holiday season and make a decision on that in the coming weeks.

Yesterday after a day in our community garden (they came to take out our Port-A-Potty until the Spring), I got two more set up for the finishing stitching:


I'll finish those and then make the two for today.  After that, I can move on to one of those "other things":


This was the project I was working on back in the summer when I realized I needed to move beyond the capabilities of my Featherweight machine if I was going to complete it.  Now that I have the 401, I've already done some work on that project and would like to bring it to completion.  With a whole day to devote to quilting I should be able to get that done.  Wish me luck!

No comments: