Saturday, January 18, 2020

Frolic Is Revealed!

Ok, Friday was the big day -- the final reveal of the Frolic mystery quilt!!  


No, I won't spoil it for you, you'll have to go over to Bonnie Hunter's blog and check out the last Clue #9 and see what the finished quilt looks like.  This week, in order to put the quilt together, the Frolic-ers are making up four patch corner units from the units assembled in Part 1 and Part 4.  Those are then combined with the Geese units made in Parts 6 and Part 8 and the Pinwheel blocks from Part 7 to create the main block in the design.

In between the blocks are a scrappy pieced sashing and then the top is finished with a double sawtooth border.  This one looks really interesting and the colors definitely channel the picture of the field of Bluebonnets that inspired it.  I think it will definitely go on my "To Make" list for sure!

Remember that Bonnie has extended how long the instructions will stay up after the reveal.  If you are interested, go over and download them by February 15th.  After that, it will be a pattern for purchase in her Quiltville online store.

As for me, I've been steadily working on "Old Tobacco Road", Bonnie's mystery from 2008.  When I made the early parts of it, I used other projects as "leader/enders" while I pieced the OTR parts.  Now OTR has been the leader/ender as I've worked on blocks for a few BOMs.  As a result, I've now got all of the combo blocks for Part 3 completed.


As I was finishing up Part 3, I'm glad to say that  I also started to put together my "Make It Scrappy" top.  I had finished the Arrow block panel (as a leader/ender) last Sunday so now as I take the "Scrappy" blocks down to piece them into rows and piece the rows into a top.....


....I can start laying out the OTR blocks and bricks!


I re-counted how many "bricks" I had cut back when I set this project up.  I've got a pretty big pile of them but it turns out I'll need a bunch more.  I also needed some squares and got all that I needed from my Scrap Users box.  It's a little confusing to lay this out so I'll do all of it before sewing things together.  Still hoping that by the time the Frolic mystery period ends in February, I can have OTR to a top too!

Hope you had a good week working on your mystery, new or old!  I look forward to watching #frolicmysteryquilt and #frolicquilt on Instagram this week to see the finishes as they come in.

1 comment:

Vireya said...

Frolic is a gorgeous quilt, isn't it? Bonnie has amazing design talents.

Your OTR is looking good!