|Once again, apologies for the picture quality -- still taking pictures with my (old) cell phone because I still haven't found my camera charger cord!|
I am still plugging away at the Aunt Grace project. The good news is that the last block (and a biggie), the center block is now done! This one had to be appliqued and I decided to brush up on the hand applique I had learned at the end of last year. The center Dresdens were stitched together and the tops were "back basted" by machine and then stitched by hand. The border "stubby" Dresdens were prepped using the starch method which made them easy to then stitch. I was hoping to get the the top completed by weekend's end so that I could (finally) start on all the Civil War projects I have in the pipeline. I've cut out some of the finishing elements but it looks like this one will go into another week. I'm not going to fight it any more, that's just the way it'll have to be.
Now for some housekeeping:
The new Sarah Fielke (formerly of Material Obsessions and now a solo author) book just arrived from the U.K. yesterday! I saw this one on a blog tour and was intrigued by some of the quilts in it. The book was released in Europe May 1 but won't be released in the U.S. until August. It can be had now from this distributor with free world-wide shipping. Note: Cutting and quilt measurements in the book are in metric AND imperial.
Sandy on a recent post on her "Quilting For The Rest of Us" blog and in her recent podcast asked everyone to update her on the quilty resolutions we made at the start of the year. I had posted my goals there but have to admit almost mid way into the year I've not gotten far. Here's my recap:
- No UFOs for 2011. So far not so good. I signed up for Myra's PHD (Projects Half Done) Challenge but haven't gotten one thing done due to the move! I had pledged six and still hope to try to get three done before the June deadline (and the Civil War pipeline should yield one of them).
- No new UFOs for 2011. Considering that I am still pushing to get the Aunt Grace project done this might happen. At this point it's my only new project started so, so far so good.
- Empty existing (haven't started yet) project bins. Having moved, this is now one bin and a couple of cabinets. Haven't pulled anything out of either of them yet though.
- Shop the stash, no new project purchases for 2011. Crashed and burned shortly after moving. The new place has yielded new ideas for projects and I couldn't resist investing in a few. So shoot me.
- Keep up to date on all BOMs. Again, Aunt Grace contributes to this and if I can get started on the CW stuff there's a contribution to that (Civil War Chronicles) there too. So I am sort of on track for this one.
- Gain confidence on choosing stitch patterns for quilting. So far I haven't quilted anything this year yet so the jury is still out on this.
The Bloggers Quilt Festival started Friday! I can't wait to go look but it looks like I, once again, won't get to contribute. But it's way more fun to look anyway. You can get there by clicking the link above. So go take a look! Go, right now and have fun!!