I made my blocks smaller, finishing at 3" because I already have a place to hang the quilt when it's finished and needed it to be smaller than her original design. I had a choice between two background pinks in my stash and choose this darker one because the other one was directional (a stripe) and I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with that with these blocks. I also liked that it went with the two charm squares I had of the even darker pink that I also used for some of the blocks and I liked the way the two looked together. This gold was the only one I had in my stash that worked with the dark pink. I stretched my churn dash colors a bit using brown, blue, black, burgundy and purple prints for those blocks.
|Trying out border choices|
When I finished the top, I swore the gold was also the perfect binding fabric but hanging it up along side it, I wasn't as thrilled. I tried the striped pink background fabric, liking the way the stripe Lori used for her binding looked--but mine was only o.k. and I felt it would add too much pink to the finished quilt. I also tried the lighter gold fabric, which at one point I liked then later I didn't. So I have since ordered another gold print with a little white in it that I hope will work for backing and binding.
I'd love to hand quilt this one like Lori did (and use the newly learned skills I gained in 2010), but we will see if that happens. This was fun and quick and I hope to get to do another in the future!