Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The First of the 2nd Quarter Finishes

I've got a finish for the second quarter -- the little mini quilt that has been was a permanent UFO from 2003.

It started as this.....

....using just these two blocks. 

This was my first paper piecing project.  At the time Carol Doak was the leader in using that technique and the blocks for this came from her book "Easy Machine Paper Piecing: 65 Quilt Blocks for Foundation Piecing".  

When I originally started this, it was supposed to be the first gift for the same friend I recently finished three gifts for (you can see those gifts here, here and here).  Back then, it was supposed to be a surprise for her to coordinate with one of the rooms of her then new house.  I wound up being the one surprised when just as I had finished the top, she called to say she and her husband were painting all the rooms of their house!  Of course when I visited after the painting, the gift was no longer suitable for the new color scheme.


After that,  I displayed it in my own home folded up in a frame where only the center showed.  That was partially because that was all that fit in the frame that I had and partially because although I liked the center of the quilt, I thought the borders "needed work".  Carol also used the same center motif in her quilt "Our Amish Friendship Garden" that was in her book.












When we moved in 2011,  I had no place to display it in our new home so I stashed it thinking it would just be one of those never finished projects.  But then one day in 2012, I pulled it out and knew just what to do for it although I wasn't able to actually work on it then.


When I recently finished the gifts for my friend, I thought it was only fitting that I also finally finish this one. 


So I'm happy to say it's now up on the mini wall with the rest.


Hopefully this will not the be last of the second quarter finishes!

4 comments:

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

This is beautiful Vivian... as it was when it was in the frame.. congratulations on a finish!

Karen

Ivory Spring said...

Vivian,

What an absolutely beautiful finish!!! Congrats!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is simply gorgeous.
Lillian

Marcy said...

Yes, a beautiful quilt. Great colors and beautiful quilting. I see we both like Carol Doak's patterns.