Monday, July 6, 2015

Piggy Bank Challenge Reveal!

Today's the day we get to empty our Piggy Banks (or jar in my case) and participate in Val's 2nd Annual Piggy Bank Challenge Reveal!


This started when Val and her husband both began saving their change and then challenged themselves to see who could save the most.  Val blogged about their competition and encouraged by the response from her readers, opened it up for everyone to join the challenge too.  For quilters, the idea is to use the money saved to buy quilty wish list items although you are not limited to that. 

I was intrigued because my DH and I have kept a jar for years with the idea of saving up our change to put toward vacations: 


As I reported last year, we've never filled the jar since we have often raided it for change for school lunch money, train or bus fare or parking meters.  However, I was pleasantly surprised when the emptied jar yielded a little more than $37 dollars mostly in dimes, nickels and pennies!  So I decided to try again and see how much could be saved this year.

My husband was usually was the one bringing in all the change.  He's a UPS driver and his elderly customers often gave their tips in change.  I mostly shop by debit card and when I do spend cash, I am usually that lady digging in her wallet for exact change to pay the cashier.  So for me, saving change has been about putting the proceeds from our recycling bottle returns into the jar. 

When I went to empty the jar today, I must admit there wasn't much in it!  It was mostly pennies and not so many that I couldn't just count them myself rather than taking them to the Coinstar machine like I did last year. 


Total yield $3.60

I'm not surprised because I haven't noticed DH leaving change on his night stand as much this year and with our oldest son in college and commuting, we'd often hear him raiding the jar in the morning for change because he forgot to fill his Metrocard (electronic fare card) the night before.  However, not to fear because unlike last year we have a backup source:


When I started saving the bottle return money, I found that I often received bills in addition to change.  I didn't want to put them in the jar since it would mean breaking it to get them back out so I put this little jewelry pouch into service for them.  Empting that today:


Total Yield:  $36!!
 
So our total piggy bank savings for this year:  $39.60!  For having actually having paid attention to trying to save, we only beat last year's take by $2.44 but it's still money we wouldn't have had if we hadn't set it aside.  So what's my wish list item?  Today I received instructions for the first block of Turning Twenty's new free mystery BOM.  As part of it they are also selling block kits in Kaffe Fassette fabrics (cut your own or precut)  so this will pay for the first two months kits (for four blocks total).  I'm not sure if I will use the kits to make the BOM or just add the fabric to my Kaffe stash but either way I welcome the additions to the stash I've been collecting for a series of  KF quilts I want to make.  
 
For the next year, I'll still keep the jar although it will be limited to being funded by the bottle returns.  DH is starting training next week to drive tractor trailers.  Hopefully, in the coming months he will be transferred to that division which means he will no longer deliver packages.  If so, it's good-bye to tips but a much less physically strenuous holiday season!
 
So thanks Val for another year of encouraging saving!  Link back at Val's to report your savings container contents or be encouraged by everyone else's savings stories to start your own Piggy Bank!

5 comments:

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Hey Viv!!! I'm going to check out that Kaffe block of the month...that is my next line I want to start collecting! COngrats on your savings. I also like the idea of using bottle return money. I have a bag of cans leftover from our family visit and thought....hmmmm....that could get us started for next year already! BTW: I updated my post...I won in our household!! YAH!! I'm glad you'll be rejoining the challenge and I'd like to personally invite your followers to join! Sign-ups for Piggy Bank Savings or quilty pleasures will start on Sunday the 12th. V:)

Scooquilt said...

Yay! Found money is found money! This is more like I was doing, just saving spare change and extra ones. Fun!

Lara B. said...

That's so funny about the second stash of bills in the coin purse. And what a good way to spend the spoils - i'd buy Kaffe fabric too Vivian!

Nita said...

You sound exactly like us! We save change for going on holidays, and it's hubby who usually puts it in as I tend to spend mine while still in my wallet (the thrift store eats a lot of it up, lol!). I should empty that jar and see how its doing.

Jasmine said...

Congrats on the collection. The extra pouch for $1 was a great idea. Have fun with your new fabric.