Friday, February 19, 2021

Finished Or Not Friday: Another 2020 holdover has been completed!

 

"Indigo Weave" started with the leftovers from my "Double Delight" project.  When the Blue and White project plans for holiday decorating started piling up last year, this one seemed like an easy thing to slot into the rotation and get a potential "back of the couch quilt" that fit the color scheme.

I got the top finished while away in North Carolina back in December.  

I liked the big casual blocks and wanted the quilt to have a cozy and casual feel.  I started off with an idea of quilting it in a grid style or maybe in Baptist Fans.  However, then I saw wavy quilting on Sherri McConnel's "Whimsey Stars" quilt on her "A Quilting Life" blog and I just loved the texture of it!  Funny but it reminded me of the texture and heft of moving blankets!  I wanted that same heavy, cozy feel so decided to start quilting this in a similar way.  Turned out it wasn't easy for me to to keep my lines consistently spaced like hers so I just went with varying the distances between the waves.

I also saw Pat Sloan's "Ripples" quilt quilted this way but with "Pebbles" quilted in between some of the waves .  Oooh, going to have to try that one day in a quilt too!   Just perfect for all the snowy weather we are having right now, this is backed with a luscious plaid flannel that I also got in NC from the Keepsake Quilting/Pineapple Fabrics Outlet.  

I had a piece of a solid navy fabric set aside from the beginning for binding but when it came time to do that, it didn't seem like it was going to be enough.  I went shopping and the closest thing in color to what I had was some Navy Kona cotton.  Did you know it comes in wide back widths now?  I didn't!  It's great because then it only needed three WOF strips to get the job done.

If you like this pattern (Layer Cake Friendly!), it's in McCalls Quilting "America Makes Fast Quilts" from Spring of 2013.  The Quilting Daily website has all of their patterns and magazines, print or digital, on sale right now for 40% off for the "Self Love" month of February.  

Thrilled to be joining everyone over at Alycia Quilts for another "Finished Or Not Friday" weekend.  I'll be heading there too to see how everyone else's week went!

6 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Love your blue and white quilt and the quilting is a perfect fit!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on a lovely quilt finish and SEW glad that you were able to visit the Pineapple Quilts store while you were down here! I haven't been since they made the change from warehouse to shop.

Vireya said...

Hooray for the finish! That is a very snuggly looking quilt.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Vivian, I really like the look of those wavy lines. What a comfortable looking quilt to cuddle under. If you enjoy free motion quilting, why not join us on Free Motion Mavericks. Muv and I take turn hosting it on Thursdays. Hope to see you there. Take care.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh this one has to go on my bucket list - It is just gorgeous ! and I love that quilting!! it just gives it the - lets snuggle - look!!

Rebecca Grace said...

Ooh, my quilting friends have been tempting me with tales of shopping at that Pineapple Fabrics store for months now! I'm afraid I'd spend a fortune so I haven't been there yet. Your quilt finish looks great and I love your organic wavy lines. Great job!