And here's my finish:
O.k. so I strayed a bit (?!?!) off the design course. One thing I realized early on in my quilting journey was that I like shaded (black tinged) fabrics and the fabrics used for the blocks bore that out. When I put the blocks together, I found the colors to be very rich which made it hard to choose background fabrics. I liked both the red and rust used here so decided to use both as alternating setting triangles! That meant I had to figure out how to incorporate the floating corner patches -- I chose to just make blocks that followed the alternating sequence.
Then the challenge was to find a border print to go with all of this. The print I used was in with fabrics for another project but I liked the way it looked with these blocks. I had to add the inserts in the border since I only had a yard of the fabric and it is directional so I had to make it stretch.
This was a challenge but also a lot fun to do. And it gave me the incentive to start a blog so two for one!