Friday, January 4, 2019

Catching up With Quiltville: The "Good Fortune" For the New Year Has Been Revealed!

This is my first chance to check in with Bonnie this week and it looks like I missed a lot!  


On New Year's Day she released Part 7 of the latest "Good Fortune" mystery.  There were half square triangles to work on and piecing work with the four patches from Part 1.  However, the big  news is that today is the day for the BIG REVEAL a.k.a. Part 8 a.k.a. the final part of the mystery!  I won't spoil the surprise here -- go on over to Bonnie's blog and see the finished quilt proudly displayed in her blog header!

So another Quiltville mystery quilt season is in the can and I look forward to seeing all the participant reveals over the next two Mondays.  I love the outer border Bonnie created with the units made up in Part 5 as well as her use of multiple pieced borders (a technique that Judy over at Patchwork Times is also fond of).   I will be particulary excited to see how all the alternate colorways that folks have used worked up into the design.  If I did make this one in the future, I definitely would like to try that route.

I have a little reveal of my own:  my plan to work on putting the "Double Delight" blocks (Parts 4 and 5) together as I complete the block units for Part 2 and 3 has progressed nicely:


I love it already and it motivates me to keep up with making the blocks.  Because I already have all of the Part 1 units made, I only need to make four and six of each of the Part 2 and 3 units (respectively) to add another block onto the design wall.  I can't wait to see how far I can get by the time the second week of "Good Fortune" reveals are posted!

While working on those I also got a few string blocks started for "Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll" as leader/enders and for the String Alongs:


I just had to remember to change to a shorter stitch length when I switched from making "Double Delight" blocks to piecing the paper foundation backed "RRCB" blocks so the paper will be easy to tear off in the future.


"Scrappy Trips" is now all layered up and the Mystery of the Missing Presser Foot" has been advanced if not completely resolved:  I contacted the Singer Featherweight Shop and asked if they could follow up on the package since the tracking information on the Postal Service website had not changed since 12/18/18!  They immediately agreed to send me another foot while they checked from their end on the whereabouts of the first package.  They also suggested I make an inquiry on my end (through my local Post Office) since that might further jumpstart the process of locating it.

Well that has been an interesting ride into what I call the "Vortex of Shipping Dysfunction"!  Calling my PO yielded no help:  according to the person I spoke to, the only information they had was what was posted in the system.  I then tried calling the USPS 800 number listed on their website:  the automated voice gave me the same outdated tracking information I had already seen online.  Yet when it offered to find "an available agent" to speak to me, it hung up on me --- twice!!

At this point I sent an email inquiry and requested a response by phone.  This morning I got an *email* confirmation of my request.  And guess what:  the telephone number listed for the "Supervisor" this message was supposedly from was the one to my local Post Office!  Another repsonse came in the afternoon (again by email) from this same "Supevisor" giving me the last scan point (in Spokane, WA, information I already saw on their website), said they apologized for the problem, that I should contact the shipper (d'uh, already done!) and if I wanted to pay an additional fee, they could put a tracer on the package to insure it gets directed to the "correct address"!

You just can't make this stuff up!  I'm guessing these two are working on this case for me!


Hope your day is "revealing" a lot of "good fortune" with progress on your 2019 projects!

No comments: