Monday, March 4, 2024

February Recap: Part 1 - A Little Cross stitch Talk

Wow, last month was a busy one for a lot of reasons.  Primarily, things were in a jumble because my DH and I had plans to spend the second half of it visiting his mother in North Carolina.  For those that had seen the icon on my side bar these last few months, you already know that part of those plans were to also partake in a big special event but more on that later.  Now that we are finally back, it's time to recap all the doings that happened both before and while we were away.

There were a lot of quilty things I needed to work on last month but I admit I did not do great on that front so more on that later too.  Thankfully though, before we left I did get some things both done and started on the cross stitch front. 

With regards to an existing project I have a finish:  

The stitching was completed on my "Year of the Dragon" cross stitch piece (link is to the PDF version but it is also available as a printed pattern).  I also pulled more fabrics from my Asian fabrics stash to choose for the "fully finishing" part of this project.  

The plan is to make it into a stuffed lantern ornament.  I didn't get to work on that before we had to leave so it was one of the things I packed to take with me in the hopes that I could finish it while away.

With that "New Years" stitching project from January now done, I decided to start on some Black History month stitching for February. 

Last year I had purchased the cross stitch kit for the Fat Quarter Shop's "Stronger Together" project.  Their "Stronger Together" campaigns support the United Negro College Fund.  I had purchased it for a chance to try stitching on a "dark" base fabric, something I had heard others say is a bit challenging to do.  For this year's campaign, I purchased the fabric pack because I want to make the quilted version.  

For that I was still in need of some background fabrics so planned to shop for those while away.

Back to the cross stitch front:  One of the earliest cross stitch projects I had kitted up was this Harriet Tubman design by the Primitive Hare from her "women who made history" series.  

I'm hoping to hang this one with a display of my Civil War reproduction quilts.  Both of these "in progress" cross stitch projects were also taken with me on our trip in the hopes of continuing work on them either during the drive down and back or in the evenings while there.  I admit I also hoped that I might even finish them up!

There's so much more to report for the month still to come, so stay tuned!!

No comments: