I wasn't sure I'd finish this project in time to make the festival but luckily I made it! The festival is being hosted by the wonderful woman who pioneered this festival six years ago, Martingale author Amy Ellis. This will be the fourth time I've had something ready to actually enter in the festival but I always make sure to view the entries because you get to see so many great projects and find great new blogs to follow and inspire you.
My entry this time is my "Sweet Land of Liberty" wall hanging which fits in the Small Quilts category.
At the time, I didn't know what I might use the print for but much later I saw the "Liberty Hall" pattern in "Easy Quilts" magazine.
The original quilt used a printed panel for the center but I just knew my "Liberty" print would make a great substitution. When we moved a few years ago, I realized I now also had a good spot for this wall hanging and decided last June that it was finally time to make it. Over time, I had collected many R/W/B fabrics. One in particular was the Brown and Red Stripe with Stars print used in the header of the quilt which as soon as I saw it, thought it was perfect for this project since it would allow me to eliminate the appliqued stars in the header in the pattern. I was able to pull everything else I needed also from stash. When it came time to add the letters in the header, I wanted something different and decided to fussy cut them from the cream stripes in this Anna Griffin fabric leftover from another project from four years ago:
with this result:
Unfortunately, once I got the top and backing done and layered, it sat around for a long while since I had a lot of older UFOs that I was also trying to eliminate. Having gotten many done in the last six months, I was finally ready to vanquish this one as well. I had recently purchased some straight and curved rulers for quilting (based on this review) which I used on another recent project and thought I would use a lot on this project as well. But I actually only used the curved ruler to free motion quilt the spines of the feathers and only used the straight ruler to help guide the walking foot when I was stitching over the plain fabric squares and rectangles (when I quilted over the nine-patches I just eyeballed it from corner to corner). The hardest quilting was the close stippling done around the center "panel" motifs (as seen in the picture in "the Basics" section). It was a lot of stops and starts since the backgrounds around all the elements weren't always connected.
I added the red border between the header and the body of the quilt and around the center "panel" because I felt they needed the extra separation after I began laying out the blocks on my design wall. But because I had already worked out all the adjusted measurements, I couldn't add in a traditional skinny border since it would throw everything off. So what you see is just a thin strip of fabric folded in half (wrong sides together) and stitched between the seams. The curved corners in the center "panel" was from a circle, faced and cut into quarters and also inserted into the seam. What you see finishes to a little less than 1/4" so as not to cover up too much of the print details.
In the end, it should also be noted that the center print inspired the name change for the quilt from what it was called in the pattern. All the "bountiful" motifs in the print reminded me of the second verse of the song "My Country 'Tis of Thee". I was disappointed that I wasn't able to use all the motifs from the print in the front of the quilt but I was able to incorporate the ones I couldn't use into the label area on the back of the quilt.
I am also very happy to have finished this since it was also on my 2nd Quarter Finish-A-Long list.