Thursday, September 8, 2022

And as to the current projects.......

 APQ Scrap Happy QAL

This week I continued with the quilt along .  For Week #2 we have to prepare HSTs with one light side and one dark side.  Their instructions called for layering two 2-1/2" squares, sewing across the diagonal and then cutting 1/4" away on one side which leaves you with the HST and two small bonus triangles.  Instead, I had a number of other ways to accomplish this step.

1.  Pull out any already pieced 2-1/2" F HSTs.

Okay I only found two of those.  It's a start......

2.  Pair 3" squares together to make two HSTs

 I have 3" squares in my Scrap Users system so I pulled the bag of those from that bin and began making 2-from-1 HSTs out of them.  It works out the same as if I started with 2-7/8" squares just now I have to trim them afterward so they are an unfinished 2-1/2" square.  That is unless my seam allowances are not great in which case they may be just fine when finished sewing!

I also have a bag of my MIL's scraps in that size.  When we visited her, if I was working on a project and pulled scraps from what she had set aside for me, I would process what ever was left from the same scrap and cut it into the sizes I collect.  So I bagged up any leftovers into 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2", 3", 3-1/2" and 4-1/4" squares or strips.  That last size is for making scrappy 3" finished Quarter Square Triangle blocks.  I'll also do 4-1/2" squares if I have a scrap project already picked out that needs them.  Last thing to save are 5" and 10" squares if there is that much left of a piece after I cut what I need for the project I am working on.  Even as I am processing scraps for this project, I am doing the same.

3.  Find scrap triangles the size needed and sew them together. 

No worries there, I  have a Triangle Scraps bin  where I put cut off triangles.  I do my best to sort them into baggies by size and had one with the size scraps I need already sorted out.  I also had put aside triangle shaped scraps (of all sizes) when going through scraps my MIL passed along to me.  I will need to do some more sorting to see if I have anything of use in there.  

I also had some scraps I was able to take from my as-yet-unfinished Scrappy Figs BOM project.  The pieces were large enough that I could die cut those the size I needed with just a few passes through the Go! machine

I also remembered that a while ago I purchased the "Clearly Perfect Slotted Trimmers" which will make trimming up both the pieced HSTs and the cut off triangles easier to bring to the right size.  

Christmas Quilting

I am also trying to get a head start on my holiday quilting and am doing it with the easiest of the projects planned.  I've long wanted to make the "12 Days of Christmas" mini quilt that was a sew along designed by Sheryl Johnson of the Temecula Quilt Company all the way back in 2012.  

Sheryl's quilt from the SAL

It has been so long since I first learned about it that I now need a version for three different decorating color schemes!  Of course, the first one needed is for the traditional Red and Green color scheme.  Since I decorated in Blue and White last year (and may do so again at some point in the future) I also want one in that color scheme.  The plan for this year's color scheme is Red and White so needless to say, now I need one like that too!

How Sheryl's design works is that the blocks for each day have that number of pieces in it.  I had begun collecting the red and green scraps a few years ago but just never got around to making the quilt.  When I managed to do the blue and white scheme this past Christmas (after originally planning it for 2020), I again put aside scraps and vowed to make both but that didn't happen.  So I as I am gearing up the projects for this year, I sat down one day and raided the scraps and stash and put fabrics aside for the Red and White version.  Now all I have to do is get them made up!  

So far so good, let's see if I can keep up!

That's what I've worked on so far this week.  I'll keep plugging away and try to get more of those HSTs buttoned up before the next phase of the APQ quilt along starts next week.

1 comment:

Vireya said...

Happy scrap sewing!

I think I would be making the HSTs the same as you - using 3" squares and getting two, rather than a method that leaves you with smaller "bonus" triangles that aren't very useful.