Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Quilters Accountability 12/1/10

It's December! OH, NO IT'S DECEMBER!!!! That's how I feel since I didn't get much done this week. Now I am feeling the heat. I’ve got to get a move on or once again I’ll fall far short on my Year-End Challenge goal (or heaven forbid even fail it completely!) But I am still optimistic for the coming weeks.

Last Week's Goals:
  1. Finish the DWR top while down in NC. Nope, did some more prep work but didn't get the blocks together.
  2. On my return, continue to work on the quilting on the Amish Doll Quilt. Nope, haven't had time--Yet.
  3. Make one block for the Sage Sampler. Nope didn't have time before or after the trip.
  4. When the fabric comes, make the "Blue & White" Doll quilt top (received notification that the order has shipped and should arrive by Monday at the latest). Fabric did arrive while we were gone but work on it will have to get added to this week's list.
  5. Layer some quilts (but we'll see how that goes). Nope but there are big hopes for this week!
  6. PLANNED BUT NOT ON THE LIST:  Help my MIL finish the borders on three Xmas gift quilt tops -- Done.
The Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend was nice.  We had a good time and got to visit with all of my husband’s family both Thursday (planned) and Friday (unplanned) which was great since we won’t get to see them for Christmas. I did get the primary goal for the visit accomplished -- my MIL and I did get the three quilt tops she was working on just about done. Due to the MANY unplanned for activities that weekend (other over-night guests, birthday celebrations, shopping), we didn’t get to sew until Saturday evening and had to stay up most of the night and then get up early on Sunday to finish up before we had to leave. When I left, she only had the top and bottom borders (which I pinned on) to finish stitching on to the three tops. She already has her backing fabric so hopefully by mid-month they will be quilted and ready to gift. It wasn't until I started writing this post during the ride back in the car that I realized I should have taken a picture of the tops for this post.  My MIL doesn’t know how to transfer pictures from her photo card to her computer (something I had planned to show her but also didn't have time to do) so I can’t ask her to send me one. Darn!

The down side was that I didn’t get much work done on my own project while away. I pieced together all the curved scraps cut from the applique centers and trimmed them into the melon pieces that will go between the arcs (but will need to cut more straight from fabric) and cut most (but not all) of the red corner squares but that’s about it. I also tried to start laying out my DWR blocks but had to do so on a bed since my MIL doesn't have a design wall.  I found that wasn't enough space nor visually helpful to look at on a flat plane. 

Long before the trip I had purchased supplies to make a portable design wall using the plans in this tutorial and had planned to put it together and bring it on the trip.  But all the extra baking I had to do before we left nixed that. So once back home (and after all the post-trip laundry and shopping that needed to be done), I made the wall since I really need a big one for these blocks.  I modified the original design so that I have a second support leg (using the leftover 4 ft cut) so I can stand the wall vertical (tall) or horizontal (wide) as needed.



As noted above, the fabric for the blue and white doll quilt did come in while we were away so hopefully I can finally get back to that little project.


Original fabrics on the left, new additions on the right.

And I did get a Dritz Quilting Needle Assortment while in NC.  They are much heavier than the Clover needles I’ve been using and I have a lot of sizes so now should be able to make good progress on finishing the quilting on the Amish Doll quilt.  Also while down there, my MIL took me to a local quilt shop where I found this beauty of a polka dot batik FQ assortment, a batik FQ to add to my Batik Storm-At-Sea project stash and some Robison-Anton rayon threads that were on sale and  may be able to use to quilt two tops I have waiting.  



This Week's Goals:
  1. Finish the quilting on the Amish Doll Quilt (she said, fingers crossed!).
  2. Make the blue and white doll quilt top.
  3. Finish the DWR top.
  4. Layer #2,  #3, the Christmas Tree skirt and the Crumb top for quilting (while my table is till clear!)
The library reshelving is coming to a close. I finished the numerical sections the week before last, I'll finish the fiction section tomorrow and the Biography section by next Wednesday at the latest (but I really hope to get it all done by Tuesday). With that done, I will have my mornings back until the library gets the financial grant the principal has applied for to purchase a cataloging system for all the new books that need Dewey tags. I don't expect any of that to happen until after the New Year so after next week, my time will be my own again.

So yet another ambitious week but hopefully not another with unexpected challenges to block the blessings of some finishes.  Now head on over to Bari's and see what projects everyone else is starting their December off with. 

6 comments:

Tamera said...

I can't believe it's already December, either! Where did this year go????

Elaine Adair said...

You may have fallen behind in your plans, but be realistic - and that GWR on the board is pretty amazing! Very nice. Yeahhh, it's December ... I'm still trying to remember what YEAR THIS IS!!! They are going by awfully fast also! Yikes

Anonymous said...

I love how you add your goals and update them! Did you add "Take the machine quilting class" to next weeks list?

Teri

Scrappy quilter said...

I love reading your list. Even though you didn't get this week's all accomplished, you have had a busy week. Can't wait to see what this week holds. I love your design wall!!

Julianne said...

I love your portable wall. Sounds like you are having a great time even if you miss your goals.

Anonymous said...

You may not have gotten much done from your list but you were super busy! And it is so worth it to spend time with family...the quilting can wait.

Your DWR is going to be gorgeous! I love those colors. Very unusual and interesting.

I am also coveting those batik polka dot fat quarters. I haven't seen anything like those! Cool!

Can't wait to see what you've done next week!

Bari