Thursday, December 29, 2022

7 Days of New Years --- Day 4: More Quilting, Still So Much To Do....

The plan today was to continue quilting the FQ Disappearing Nine Patch quilt.  However, before I could get started there was more bad COVID news:  my youngest son called to say he had tested positive.  The good news is that he is off for the holiday break from the school he works for.  He says he has had COVID before but this time it felt different, many more of the common symptoms.  Fortunately he says he had been boosted weeks ago so I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse than feeling like a bad case of the flu.  All I could do was counsel what I would if it was the regular flu: rest, fluids and Tylenol until it passes.  Needless to say, the New Year's Eve plans he had are now also cancelled.  

I did go back to work on the quilting and managed to finish the section of red straight line quilting on the "Holiday Words" print that I had started yesterday.  I found that a longer stitch length and slower stitching helped a bit.  Then I moved to another large red  section that I planned to crosshatch between the rows of red dots printed on it.  Cross hatching is another motif that seems easy to stitch but eventually feels incredibly time consuming to complete.

So in the end it took most of the day to get done and is, as in the other areas, not very smooth.  However, it also is the last of the red sections I will quilt using the walking foot.  I then switched to a cream thread but kept the walking foot to stitch the two next sections: the ones with strings of lights.   Those were easier to do as they are spaced and the undulations are relatively short and fluid.  So that's it for today and tomorrow I'll quilt the other two light sections in straight lines and then I'll move on to free-motion motifs.  At this point I'm hoping I can get this one done before the New Year rings in!       

1 comment:

Vireya said...

Sorry to hear your son has covid! I hope he feels better soon.

Glad to see the quilting went well when you went back to it.