Wednesday, January 1, 2020

The Seven Days of New Year's: Day 7

Happy New Year!


I welcomed in 2020 with the last day of my "Seven Days of New Years" Quilt-A-Thon.  For today, I wanted to start the new year off by working on a new project.  As I noted in my last post,  I have a couple of workshops coming up.  I'll be attending one of them Friday and want to get a project made up for it.  Back in October, I had traveled with my family to visit my MIL and her ailing husband.  I had taken this small travel iron with me to use while in my MIL's quilt space.


While a Steamfast iron lives on my sewing table, before that I had this little iron with plans to use it if I went to classes or retreats.  I never traveled to classes but it turned out to be very handy when working in my MIL's sewing room. 

Her sewing room was right next to and was the pass through to the room where she had set up space for her ill husband to convalesce.  That made it inconvenient to keep her full ironing board up and in place as we all had to go back and forth while caring for him.  Being able to set up my little iron off to the side on the Mini Omnigrid mat I  brought down with me was a big help.  I always had planned to make a heat resistant tote for this little iron but because it hadn't traveled, it was never a priority. 

I've long had a pattern for the tote so I packed it for the trip and while down in NC during one of our "retail therapy" breaks, I was able to score some fabric to make the tote but didn't get to work on the project then.


When my community garden President and I held the Girl Scout workshop three weeks ago, she also brought a couple of these irons to the workshop.  When I visited her recently, I was telling her how I had the same iron and had planned to make a carrier for it.  I decided at that moment that I wanted to get that done to show her when we reconvened this Friday.  So today was the day to finally get that started!   After cutting out the parts, it was back to quilting with my Featherweight to create some quilted fabric to get it started.


I got some of it constructed before interrupting work to watch some TV with my DH.  Darn the "Odd Couple New Year's Marathon" for distracting me!!


So hopefully I can finish this up tomorrow!

1 comment:

Rebecca Grace said...

Interesting -- I've heard of people quilting with their Featherweights, but had never seen it done before. A heat resistant travel tote is a great idea for a travel iron. Perfect small project to start your New Year off with a finish! Just stay away from that television and you'll be fine. :-)