Sunday, January 8, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching 1/8/17: More On the QAYG Project

https://kathysquilts.blogspot.ca/2017/01/slow-sunday-stitching.html

The Half-time Report

I've been participating since Thursday in Judy Laquidara' Quilt-A-Thon for January.  She used to do these regularly and has just restarted them this year.  If you want to join in there's a monthly schedule on her sidebar for the rest of this year's dates. 

During yesterday's session, I set up to do some Slow Sunday Stitching today and got more done this morning.  I wanted to watch the NY Giants wildcard playoff game this evening and figured that if I got some of these blocks prepared in advance, I could sew on them while watching the game.  In past sessions, I felt the effort of stuffing the batting into the blocks took away too much time from the stitching.  I can get more of them done if they are prepped in advance. 


The last time I posted about these, at first I said I didn't know what batting I was currently using in the blocks.  However, I looked back through my posts and saw that in 2010 I had written about the batting:  it's Fairfield's Soft Touch.  Good to know because I used up all the batting I'd started with so need to get more of it for the next round of blocks.

Years ago I decided to make these blocks because of a "Quiltmakers Workshop" tutorial in the July/August 1998 issue of (the now deceased) Quilter's Newsletter Magazine (although they still keep a presence on the web).  I started quilting and subscribing to QNM in 2002 but back then, I was able to get back issues of QNM pretty cheap on eBay.  Sellers often offered them in sets of a whole year of issues for as little as $10 for the set.  As a result, I have a complete collection of them going back to 1984.  As time went on, I only stopped collecting them because the price of the issues got more and more expensive and were mostly sold one issue at a time.  Now that the magazine is no longer published, I've tried to pick up a few more of the earlier issues but I expect them to get even harder to get as time goes on.

We're expecting to have to go  pick up our minivan from the car dealer repair shop tomorrow so if I have any blocks left that haven't been sewn, I can take them as "travel work" for while we wait.  Ok, back to the game, we're down against Green Bay  14 - 6!

Looking to see what others are stitching on this blistery Sunday?  Head over to Kathy's Quilts and check out the Slow Sunday Stitching link-up

No comments: